So you want to be a writer or you want to improve your writing? Me Too! Here are some tips I hope will help you on your journey!
After writing my last blog post I realized how much there is to learn as a writer and also what I have already learned. When I started my blog I considered myself to be a fairly competent writer, but not a “writer”. Competent, meaning I took writing in college and really enjoyed it and did well. I did a massive amount of writing to complete an accelerated college degree. My job required a certain amount of proficient writing.
Does that make me a writer? No, I still have so much to learn and I am eager to continue. I have read so many articles on blogs and writing. Articles on how to write title lines, how to be descriptive, why it is important to find your focus,
Here are some of the things you can do to become a better writer.
- When you start writing it is important to pick a lane. At least for blogging. What do you want to write about? What are your interests? Do you want to write about fashion or art? Do you have expertise in a certain field that will potentially help others? Write about something you enjoy or is meaningful to you.
- Write something. You have to start somewhere. It’s okay, you will look back later and (hopefully) see how far you have come and how much you have learned.
- Edit. Don’t just write and hit the publish button. Read it, edit it, read it again and edit it again. Look for spelling errors, grammar errors and sentence structure. Do your sentences make sense or do they need to be rewritten. I read my blog posts over and over and I know I still make mistakes. I found I would be typing as I was thinking and sentences made sense to me. After rereading a few times I knew they might not make any sense to someone else.
- Be concise. You can write something and use 20 words or say the same thing using 10 words. Which sounds better? Sometimes less is more.
- Be descriptive. Write so that your content is engaging and brings the reader into the story. Your writing should draw them in and make them want to keep reading.
- Title lines are really important because that is what a reader sees first. Write them so they are concise, interesting and offer the reader a benefit for reading.
- The beginning of your blog or story should be powerful. Spend more time here than anywhere else. Write it in such a way that the reader wants more. Leave them hanging so they have to continue reading to find out what happens.
- Read. Since starting my blog I am reading more and more. I read to learn and I read for my enjoyment. You will find so many different styles of writing. You will find you are drawn to certain writers. What is their style? How do they structure their writing? You will be influenced by many and from them, you will develop your own style.
- Ideas. When I first thought about the possibility of writing a blog I took a notebook and started writing down ideas. Then I researched and made adjustments. Keep a small notebook and a pen with you all the time. When something pops into your head write it down immediately. Ideas will come to you at the strangest times like when you are exercising, mowing the lawn or taking a shower.
- Scheduling a time and a place to write. This may not work for everyone and there does need to be some flexibility. Some people like to write early in the day and others prefer night time. It is truly beneficial to have a place to write where it is quiet and there are few distractions.
- Feedback. Look for someone you trust to read your writing and hear their thoughts. Ask for suggestions, what was good, bad or indifferent? Did they enjoy reading it? I know when I first started I was really hesitant about reactions but that is counterproductive now isn’t it?.
These are some of the things that I am doing or in the process of learning how to do better. I am not an established blogger (this is my 5th month) nor am I an established writer. I believe I have included some goods tips to follow for any type of writing.
My advice is to do all of these things but to also research and look for more. There is a multitude of articles some of which are really good and some not as much. Look for the people with the most expertise and success.
If you want to write, do it. Take a Journey. Start and see where it leads you.
As always, thank you for reading my blog. Have a wonderful day!