The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.”— Franklin D. Roosevelt
Everyone wants to be successful. It is the habits we consciously learn and maintain that will bring us success; whether it is in business or our personal life.
Developing those habits may require some effort on our part; some may be easy and others, not so much. Like everything else, the energy we put into learning new habits will determine our success.
So what do we need to do?
- Start your day off in a positive, energized mode. There are a few things you can do such, as exercise. Exercise can clear your head, and it allows you to visualize your day. I have found it is a great time to solve problems or develop ideas. It does not matter what form of exercise. It can be yoga, running, or weight lifting; any activity that gets your blood flowing.
- Have a focus list for the day. Make it the night before and come back to it first thing in the morning. The list should include everything you want to accomplish for the day. It could also include a run down of what projects you will be working on that week. Exercise should be on the list, so if you have already done that, you can check it off. You have already started your day on a positive note. Move on to the next thing on the list.
- As part of your focus list, you should decide what the top three jobs are for the day and then prioritize them again. Which is the hardest? Do that first, then move on to the next hardest and then to number three— that way, you will have completed the essential items. Then you can spend the rest of the day checking off as many of the other jobs as your time allows.
- Decide to change your attitude toward email, social media, and phone calls. You can get lost in the unnecessary. Check you email and phone messages at designated times. Perhaps first thing in the morning and once again later in the day. Respond only to what is necessary, then move back to your focus list so you can complete the more important aspects of your job. If necessary you can finish your day completing those tasks.
- Practice mindfulness. Live in the moment. Yesterday is gone, so do not dwell there. Tomorrow is the future, so although it is nice to dream about the success you want to have, you need to do your best job today. You will be prepared for the future by being successful today.
- Focus on self-improvement by continuing to learn and develop yourself. Always read, take classes, watch webinars. We are never too old to learn. Learning is fun and will make you more interesting. Being open to change and learning new things makes you more valuable at work.
- Always develop the people that work for you. Treat them with respect, smile, and have meaningful conversations. Ask if you can help; be a mentor. Create a plan which gives them a road map of what they need to learn to move forward. Always give good, honest feedback.
The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.Vince Lombardi
As always, thank you for reading my blog. Have a great day!