You don’t have to have it all figured out to move forward, just take the first step.Unknown
I feel like crap today. I can’t move forward. I don’t feel like doing anything but feel I have to. You know those days when you wake up in the morning and you feel okay but once you get to work you don’t. You feel stuck. You’re there, you want to go home, but there is a meeting or a class or something you really need to work on.
What the heck should you do. Power through or throw in the hat? Head to the bathroom and barf or just suck it up.
My option is usually just suck it up. Once I get moving I’m okay. It may not be pleasant and I may not be glowing with contentment but I get the job done.
My feeling totally yucky today has led me to writing this post. I was just poking around trying to decide what to write about and decided to look at some quotes. I wanted to move forward and I took that first step and here I am.
My analogy could easily apply to other situations of “What to do when you don’t know what to do”.
In my case it was making a decision to either be a slug or to actually do something and in this case it was what to write today. It could easily have been about something else.
Sometimes we just get overwhelmed, tired or just feel yucky. Maybe I should have taken a mental health day.
We all have hurdles, some are small and some are much larger. You may have come to a stalemate, a huge hurdle in your life that is overwhelming and requires a big potentially life changing decision.
You can use the same techniques in all situations. It is good to practice them all the time so they become part of your everyday life. Make them habits.
What can you do to keep moving forward?
- Depending on your situation you may not be able to figure it out quickly. It won’t be an overnight decision. Life throws us some interesting curves sometimes. Take some time knowing you may be unhappy or uncomfortable until you can come to a decision.
- If you have a “smaller” less significant problem you will still need to take a little time to understand why you are stuck. For instance take that mental health day and use it to rest and refuel. Access what was wrong and then refocus so you can move forward.
- Make a decision on what to do but keep it simple. This will make it easier to take a first step. Don’t overthink it and don’t make it too complicated. Take that first step, evaluate the result and then use what you learned from the first step. Keep moving and do it again. .
- Smile. Smiling is the easiest, simplest thing you can do to feel better and boost your confidence. Smiling can change your whole perspective and make everything easier.
- Look for ways to relax that you usually don’t take the time for. When you go to lunch leave your phone behind, go for a walk or actually talk to someone face to face and do not talk about work. Talk about sports, a great movie or a book you are reading. Hopefully, you do those things as a hobby. If not, consider doing them for your well being. It is important to do things that relax you, give you energy and help you to look at your life in a new, fresh way.
- When you are faced with anything that significantly affects your life and you have to make changes, either small or large, consider it an opportunity. Stop and listen to yourself. Listen to your body, your mind, your emotions. We do not normally do this and it is important. Take the time to learn about and understand who you are and then make the changes you need for yourself.
As always, thank you for reading my blog. Have a wonderful day.