“You don’t start out writing good stuff. You start out writing crap and thinking it’s good stuff, and then gradually you get better at it.
That’s why I say one of the most valuable traits is persistence.”
― Octavia E. Butler
Today I am being persistent. I am writing this with hesitation because I really do not want to write today. I am tired and feeling a bit funky and just off.
I have this massive amount of outside work to do. That is what I did this weekend and so today I am overtired. I also have nothing to post. Woe is me!
So what do I do? Right now I am looking for inspiration. I do have a few ideas I want to work on but they are just that ideas. They need more time then I have today. So I am going to write about finding inspiration.
When I woke up this morning an idea was just there waiting. So if you are lucky that will happen often. I won’t be writing about that particular idea today though, that is waiting for another time.
So where do I normally find inspiration? Here are a few ideas that work for me.
- Quotes. I love quotes. First they offer inspiration for so many things. They just make me feel good. They also offer great ideas for writing. I often find them on Twitter and you can always do a search online.
- Reading. I always try to read other blogs and articles. I recently read an article written by John Pa, https://johnpa.com/2019/06/08/770/ who also blogs on Word Press. His article inspired me and gave me the idea for an article I wrote for Medium.com. We had similar life experiences and I had never thought to write about it before. So thank you John.
- Life experiences. We all have experiences that we can write about. There are so many that we can share. Funny, sad and in between. Write about your kids and what they say and do.
- Work. I have written most of my blog posts about my work experience. Work experiences offer so many possibilities for writing. Again they can be funny, sad or anywhere in between.
- Pets. I love animals and they have always been a part of my life. We once raised Texas Longhorn cattle. I know I have a story or two to share about my experiences with them. Do you have a cat or a dog? Write about them.
- Exercise/sports. Huge topic and very popular. Are you a fan of a particular team? Write about them. Do you have a funny story about going to a game. Were you lucky enough to meet your favorite player? Write about that.
- Music. Do you have a passion for a particular style of music or a particular artist? Do you have a lot of knowledge about either? Many songs are inspirational. Do you have a favorite feel good song? Write about it
- T-Shirts. Yes t-shirts. I have found them online with great sayings and I have used them for blog posts. Sometimes great images as well.
- Things you randomly see and hear. You could be at a movie, the grocery store or at the park. It is funny how a simple overheard comment may turn into a light bulb moment. You know you can write about it.
- How about a TED presentation? There has to be inspiration found there.
- Dreams. I normally do not dream or at least I do not remember them. My husband on the other hand has some whoppers, I mean really bizarre. I am sure I could find a blog post or two in there somewhere.
- Relationships. Oh My…of course there are inspirational posts available from our interactions and from their life experiences. My husband is retired law enforcement and he also worked in the private sectors as well. He has traveled extensively. Many possibilities there.
- Notebook. One thing I do is keep a notebook handy so I can write down ideas so I do not forget them. I keep a notebook on my desk by my computer and keep it by my side if we watch TV at night. That is usually when I read and make lists.
- Recorder. I would really like to carry a small recorder. I will think of things and write title lines or sentences in my head. That happened this morning when I woke up and it happens when I am outside, on the tread mill or driving in the car. I still have the general idea in my head but I lose some of it. I hate when that happens.
What do you do everyday? What hobbies do you have? What kind of makeup do you use? Do you use natural products or make them yourself? Do you have a passion for fashion? Do you write poetry?
Inspiration is everywhere. We just have to look and listen and we will find it. Writing this today has been beneficial to me because in thinking about possibilities to share with you, I also shared them with myself. I have not thought of some of these possibilities before.
I hope some of my ideas for finding inspiration help you. Ideas are really everywhere, we just have to open our minds to them.
If you would like to read my article published at Medium.com which was inspired by the writing of John Pa you can find it here: https://medium.com/@lindalatt/panic-in-the-er-the-fear-and-terror-of-the-unknown-722513da811a?source=friends_link&sk=76b202b949769d8c145cc1c7692021e8
As always, thank you for reading my blog. Have a wonderful day!