When I started my blog I had no expectations. I looked at it as an opportunity to do something that would keep my brain stimulated. Maybe it would help me do other things as well. There is a list of things floating around in my mind that I have an interest in, a curiosity really. Will writing the blog push me to do some of the things on my list? Maybe, maybe no, but I think the chances are in my favor.
Writing my blog has definitely been interesting, sometimes exciting, sometimes overwhelming and never dull. I have been disappointed on occasion and just a teeny bit angry a time or two.
I have learned that it is a lot of work. More time being gobbled up when there is always so much to do. Going into this I had no idea how much effort is required. It isn’t just the writing but it is learning how to create an account on WordPress and Twitter and Facebook. That was just the beginning.
Then there is all the other potential sites like Reddit, LinkedIn, Instagram, UTube, Google and Pinterest and the list goes on. How do you connect them and do you want to? what is the best practice? do you want to monetize your blog. Yikes! I am still working my way through all this and hoping to do it intelligently.
So the process does require effort but I love it! The time and effort is worth it and it is stimulating.
So just what has happened that makes me feel it is worthwhile?
“I write to discover what I know.”
- I am more appreciative. This is a hard one to explain really. It is all about my mental outlook about myself and my surroundings. Writing, doing research, reading other people’s blogs makes me more aware. I feel like it has opened me up. You know like that flower bud wrapped tightly and then it slowly opens up into full bloom. I think what I am attempting to say is I had become closed off in a way. I had no expectations and now I do. I want more.
- I am definitely exercising my brain which is so very important to me. As we all do, I am getting older. I refuse to use that as an excuse to stop doing new things and to settle for a ho-hum life. It’s a good life but no one should limit themselves. Life is what we make it and it can always be better.
- Blogging gives me a voice and a way to express myself. I think everyone has something worthwhile to say. Many people are introverts and I certainly have that tendency. It is easy for me to spend long amounts of time by myself. At the same time I do have things to say and I think it is a healthy practice to use my voice. Blogging has given me that outlet
- Having worked for many years I have what I believe is good valuable information to share. I have raised a family while working full time and going to college part time. I earned my degree with honors and steadily earned promotions at work. I was named employee of the year and I was a speaker at the organization I worked for and was also on the speakers bureau of the local Alzheimer’s Assoc. Blogging has given me an opportunity to share my thoughts and hopefully help someone else.
- Blogging has helped me become a better writer. It has been awhile since I had done any form of writing so this is refreshing to me. I enjoy it and I am relearning the art of writing. I have branched out a little and started writing articles for Medium.com. Here is one of my articles: https://medium.com/@lindalatt/alzheimers-disease-857b0b63004c
- It has given me more confidence. The effort of writing my blog and all of the other factors that go with it has been a challenge and I am so glad. I am learning and I am getting better. Five months ago I had no intention of doing this and here I am. I feel better about myself on many levels. Blogging has been a very beneficial experience.
- Blogging is allowing me to tell my story. I have experiences to share, I just never expected to have the opportunity. People have interesting stories to tell and now slowly I am sharing some of mine. Here is another article published on Medium.com that I love because it is my story of first love and it is special to me. https://medium.com/@lindalatt/the-boy-from-california-ea85d7f5de77
- A wonderful benefit of blogging is making new connections with other bloggers and writers. Remember I am an introvert so I tend to be content being by myself. Slowly establishing connections with people I would never had the opportunity without my blog is wonderful. It is a nice benefit.
- Believe it or not writing this blog has helped me be more organized. Although looking at my desk right now you would not believe me. Blogging is helping me organize my thoughts and think of events in a different way so it is a definite benefit. I am more focused.
- There is the potential for making money. That is not my purpose for writing my blog. I am writing for the pure satisfaction of knowing I can and for continuing to get better even as I age. It is wonderful to experience it. Extra money is not a bad thing though.
Blogging may not be for everyone but it does have benefits. You do have to work and put in true effort. Just like everything else what you get out of it will be determined by what you put into it. If you have a story to tell…..maybe you should consider telling it in your blog.
As always, thank you for reading my blog. Have a wonderful day.