Today I took a break, a much needed break. Life can sometimes overwhelm me. Lately I have pushed myself too much. My tendency is to think I can do it all while I know I cannot.
The last two weeks have been full of research, writing and trying to incorporate what I am slowly learning into this blog. I have also tried to write a few articles in a different format. Of course, I want to do it all and do it well.
In the last few days I have realized I am being unrealistic. I am just me. Someone with big dreams but not enough time right now. I haven’t figured out a way to cram it all in.
Two days in a row I felt ill, starting to shake for no reason and having to stop. My body felt weak. I am sure it was trying to tell me something. It was telling me to reevaluate, slow down and find a better way.
““Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer.” –William Burroughs
So today I went to my gardens. I love to dig in the dirt. It is something I learned from my father. His garden was filled with vegetables and mine with flowers, glorious flowers. They sing to me.
Flowers are my therapy. They feed my soul. Give me a shovel, dirt, a wheelbarrow, some mulch and let me create magic. My magic. Do I feel better right now? Oh, my yes.
In the winter when it is cold and everything is covered with snow I dream of spring and the arrival of all the birds and the trees budding and spring flowers popping out of the ground. I pour through gardening books and catalogs. What will I do this year?
Everyone needs their own magic, something you love to do that creates a special place for you to go. It does not have to be a garden and you don’t have to love digging in the dirt. You do need something that will soothe your soul. Something that will relax you, invigorate you. Something that will take you away for a little while.
Today I read two articles about how we do, or attempt to do, too much. We work long hours and we get stressed out. To be successful we believe it is necessary to do more.
That was where I was, I thought I had to do more each day. My body told me otherwise.
So what can you do? There is so much.
- Music. How wonderful is music? It can transport us and either rock your world or soothe your soul. Listening to music is a wonderful thing to do.
- Reading. I love to read and a well written story can take you away into another world. I lived in books as a child, could not get enough of them. Books are a wonderful escape, an adventure and a learning experience. They offer so much.
- Exercise. We should all be doing more of that. With me it is a love-hate relationship but it can be a wonderful release. It will calm you and invigorate you too. Yoga, I love yoga. You should try it. Yoga is relaxing, calming and it will make you feel wonderful.
- Meditation. Love it or hate it? I have not mastered that art but I want to. It is another practice that will calm you and help release stress. Meditation can be practiced in conjunction with yoga, so they are a win-win duo.
- Spending time outside. Going to a park, walking, kayaking, photography, karate. Take your pick.
We work hard but we need to be mindful of the effect working too hard can have on our physical and mental well being, When we walk away for even a short time we bring back a clear mind and a fresh approach. It allows us to be more productive and more creative.
Work hard but take a break. It is good for you.